Felipe Albuquerque, MD
Our Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to
care provider related questions
from our nationally recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey.
Cardiovascular Disease, Interventional Cardiology
English, Spanish, Portugese
4725 N Federal Highway, Suite 401
Fort Lauderdale , FL 33308
Dr. Albuquerque is an interventional cardiologist with subspecialty training in structural heart disease. He is also a clinician investigator with more than 30 manuscripts published in high impact journals in the field of cardiovascular diseases. Originally from Brazil, Dr. Albuquerque performed a research fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, followed by an internal medicine residency at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT.
He obtained his cardiovascular fellowship training at Montefiore Medical Center/ Albert Einstein College of Medicine in NY, followed by interventional cardiology training at the prestigious Andreas Gruentizig catheterization laboratory at Emory University Atlanta, GA, followed by a dedicated structural heart fellowship training at University of Miami, Miami, FL.
Dr. Albuquerque has served as peer-reviewer for several cardiovascular journals, he is triple board certified in internal medicine, echocardiography and cardiovascular diseases. Dr. Albuquerque is trilingual in English, Spanish and Portuguese and has recently joined Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale, FL as an interventional cardiology and structural heart disease specialist.
Peer-Reviewed Publications/Book Chapter
1. Devireddy C, Albuquerque FN. Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement: Maintaining Future Focus Despite Present Uncertainity. JACC Card. Interventions 2017 Aug 28;10(16):1679-1681.
2. Tenekecioglu E Albuquerque FN, Zeng Y, Sotomi Y, Suwannasom P, Tateishi H, Cavalcante R, Ishibashi Y, Nakatani S, Abdelghani M, Dijkstra J, Bourantas C, Karanasos A, Radu M, Wang A, Takashi M, Landmesser U, Okamura T, Regar E, Raber L, Guagliumi G, Pyo R, Onuma Y, Serruys PW. Intracoronary optical coherence tomography: clinical and research applications and intravascular imaging software overview. Catheter and Cardiovascular Interventions 2017 Mar 1;89(4):679-689.
3. Cavalcante R, Sotomi Y, Lee CW, Ahn JM, Farooq V, Tateishi H, Tenekecioglu E, Zeng Y, Suwannasom P, Collet C, Albuquerque FN, Onuma Y, Park SJ, Serruys PW. Outcomes After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention or Bypass Surgery in Patients With Unprotected Left Main Disease. Journal of The American College of Cardiology 2016. Sep 6;68(10):999-1009.
4. Tateishi H, Suwannasom P, Sotomi Y, Nakatani S, Ishibashi Y, Tenekecioglu E, Abdelgani M, Cavalcante R, Zeng Y, Grundeken M, Albuquerque FN, Veldhof S, Onuma S, Serruys PW. Edge vascular response after resorption of everolimus-eluting bioresorbable vascular scaffold: a 5-year serial optical coherence
tomography study. Circulation Journal 2016 Apr 25;80(5):1131-41
5. Suwannasom P, Sotomi Y, Ishibashi Y, Cavalcante R, Albuquerque FN, Macaya C, Ormiston J, Hill J, Lang I, Egred M, Fajadet J, Lesiak M, Tijssen J, Wykrzykowska J, de Winter R, Chevalier B, Serruys PW, Onuma Y. Impact of post-procedure asymmetry, expansion and eccentricity indices of Xience and Absorb assessed by intravascular ultrasound on 1-year clinical outcomes in the ABSORB II trial. JACC Cardiovascular Interventions 2016 Jun 27;9(12):1231-42.
6. Albuquerque FN, Bortnick A, Javaid I, Stone GW, Serruys PW. Drug-eluting Stent, Bioresorbable Vascular Scaffolds and Dual Antiplatelet Therapy: evolutionary perspectives. Catheter Cardiovascular Interventions. 2016 April;87(5):909-19.
7. Albuquerque FN, Onuma Y, Serruys PW. The Dual Antiplatelet Therapy study at the American Heart Association Meeting: an issue that concerns all of us. Future changes in paradigm or look into the past? EuroIntervention. 2014 Nov 18.
8. Iqbal J, Serruys PW, Albuquerque FN, Wijns W. Year in cardiology 2014: coronary intervention. European Journal of Cardiology Journal Jan 2 2015
9. Konecny T, Geske JB, Ludka O, Orban M, Brady PA, Abudiab MM, Albuquerque FN, Placek A, Kara T, Sahakyan KR, Gersh BJ, Tajik AJ, Allisson TG, Ommen SR, Somers VK. Decreased Exercise Capacity and sleep-disordered breathing in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Chest 2015 Jun 147(6): 1574-81.
10. Calvin AD, Covassin N, Kremers W, Adachi T, Macedo P, Albuquerque FN, Levine J, Davinson D, Singh P, Wang S, Somers VK. Experimental Sleep Restriction Causes Endothelial Dysfunction in Healthy Humans. J Am Heart Assoc. 2014 Nov 25;3(6). pii: e001143.
11. Calvin AD, Carter RE, Adachi T, Macedo PG, Albuquerque FN, van der Walt C, Bukartyk J, Davinson DE, Levine JA, Somers VK. Effects of Experimental Sleep Restriciton on Caloric Intake and Activity Energy Expenditure. Chest. 2013 Jul;144(1);19-86.
12. Albuquerque FN, Somers VK, Blume GB, Miranda W, Korenfeld Y, Calvin AD, Qin R, Lopez-Jimenez F. Usefulness of Epicardial Adipose Tissue as a Predictor of Cardiovascular Events in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease. American Journal of Cardiology 2012 Oct 15;110(8):1100-5
13. Cortes-Bergoderi M; Thomas RJ; Albuquerque FN, Batsis JA, Burdiat G, Perez-Terzic C, Trej J, Erwin PJ; Lopez-Jimenez F. Validity of Cardiovascular risk Prediction Models in Latin American and U.S Hispanics populations: a systematic review. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2012 Aug;32(2):131-9.
14. Albuquerque FN, Calvin AD, Kuniyoshi F, Konecny T, Pressman GS, Lopez-Jimenez F, Friedman P, Somers VK, Caples SM. Sleep-Disordered Breathing and Excessive Daytime Sleepiness in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. Chest 2012 Apr 141-(4):967-73.
15. Albuquerque FN, Macedo PG, Pedrosa R. Sleep apnea and Cardiac Arrhythmias. São Paulo Cardiology Society Journal, November 2010 20-4;1-3.
16. Sert-Kuniyoshi F, Zelmer MR, Calvin AD, Lopez-Jimenez F, Albuquerque FN, Van der Walt C, Trombetta IC, Caples SM, Shamsuzzaman AS, Bukartyk J, Konecny T, Gami AS, Katar T, Somers VK. Diagnostic Accuracy of the Berlin Questionnaire in Detecting Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Patients with a Recent Myocardial Infarction. Chest 2011 Nov;140(5);1192-7.
17. Albuquerque FN, Sert-Kuniyoshi F, Calvin AD, Sierra-Johnson J, Romero-Corral A, Lopez-Jimenez F, Roberts A, Somers VK. Sleep-Disordered Breathing, Hypertension, and Obesity in Retired National Football League Players. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2010 Oct 19;56(17):1432-3.
18. Murad MH, Fernández-Balsells MM, Barwise A, Gallegos-Orozco JF, Paul A, Lane MA, Lampropulos JF, Natividad I, Perestelo-Pérez L, Ponce de León-Lovatón PG, Albuquerque FN, Carey J, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Outcomes of surgical treatment for nonfunctioning pituitary adenomas: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2010 Dec;73(6):777-91
19. Calvin AD, Albuquerque FN, Adachi T, Somers VK. Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Heart Failure. Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine, 2009 Dec;11(6):447-54
20. Fernandez-Bassels MM, Murad MH, Lane M, Lampropulos JF, Albuquerque F, Mullan RJ, Agrwal N, Elamin MB, Gallegos-Prozco JF, Erwin PJ, Bhasin S, Montori VM. Adverse Effects of Testosterone Therapy in Adult Men: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2010 Jun;95(6):2560-75.
21. Calvin AD, Aggarwal NR, Murad MH, Shi Q, Elamin MB, Geske JB, Fernandez-Balsells MM, Albuquerque FN, Lampropulos JF, Erwin PJ, Smith SA, Montori VM. Aspirin for the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Events: a systematic review and meta-analysis comparing patients with and without diabetes. Diabetes Care, 2009 Dec;32(12):2300-6
22. Muthusamy K, Elamin MB, Smushkin G, Murad MH, Lampropulos JF, Elamin KB, Abu Elnour NO, Gallegos-Orozco JF, Fatourechi MM, Agrwal N, Lane MA, Albuquerque FN, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Adult height in patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Sep;95(9):4161-7.
23. Calvin AD, Albuquerque FN, Lopez-Jimenez F, Somers VK. Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Inflammation, and the Metabolic Syndrome. Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders Journal, 2009 Aug;7(4):271-8.
40 Patient Satisfaction Ratings
Our Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to care
provider related questions
from our nationally recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey.
7 Patient Comments
First rate concern & treatment.
Provider seemed smart - perhaps a bit shy - I didn't always feel we were both on the same page.
Quick, caring, efficient.
Concern about my heart problem 100% very good doctor. Explains everything to me.
Best doctor ever. He is professional, caring, and thorough. I enjoy my visits with him.
*Dr. Felipe was both caring and competent provider.